Octopus Hat



I absolutely love this idea. I can't remember where I came up with it (it was so long ago), but I did this project once before when I worked at a Montessori school and the kids absolutely loved it. Of course we did a jellyfish then and we used tissue paper instead of bubble wrap. I wanted to change it up a bit so I swapped out the tissue paper for bubble wrap and decided we make an octopus instead of a jellyfish. My daughter and I had so much fun with this!

Supplies used:
White glue, paper or hand made top hat, googly eyes, paint and eight strips of bubble wrap.


Start by using a hat, we got ours at from Oriental Trading (the link is below) and they cost $10.50 per dozen. If you don't want to buy them you could make your own.
Paint the hat in whatever colors you choose and prop it up on something while it dries. I used a stack of plastic cups we have for crafts.

Take the 8 strips of bubble wrap (about 2-3 bubbles wide) and paint them on the flat side. Set aside and let dry.

Glue the googly eyes onto the front of the hat, close to the brim.
Glue 8 strips of bubble wrap to the underside of the brim of the hat and sport your cool new octopus hat.




I really hope you guys enjoyed this project. It's one of my all time favorites and your kids will love this one too. It goes great in a dress up center.

Comments